Two weeks ago Roman had his chicken pox vaccination. I was a little nervous giving it to him because it's a live virus and there is a 3-5% chance that kids can get the virus from the vaccination. The pediatrician said to keep an eye on him but that it is so rare he would be fine. In the past 2 weeks since then he had a high fever (topping out at 103.7) an ear infection, an eye infection and a cold. Well he started taking Amoxicillin 10 days ago for the ear infection, and had one last dose today.
Yesterday I noticed a few small spots on his arm, I thought it was strange but didn't think anything more of it until I went to change his diaper and his diaper area was covered in little red spots. I called the pediatricians office and our doctor and medical assistant were out so I talked to another nurse and she said if he was worse today that she would have our medical assistant call and check on us in the morning but we should come in.
When he woke up this morning he was covered from head to toe in spots. When the medical assistant called she started out by saying "I talked to the nurse and I don't think it has anything to do with the shots, probably just watch it." I interrupted her and told her he now has over 60 spots covered from head to toe. She said "Just a minute, let me talk to the doctor." She came back to the phone and said "Can you come right in?" Roman had just gone down for a nap and he was so tired I didn't want to wake him so they worked us in a little later in the morning.
We walked in and the receptionists all three said "yep, looks like chickenpox let's get you back to a back room so you don't infect anyone." So the nurse came in and she said "They started yesterday? They are already starting to blister." GREAT! At this point I am almost in tears, I am just freaking out.
The doctor walks in and asks "Is he on any medications?" Yes! He is! She says "This isn't chicken pox, this is an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin" so she checked the ear, sure enough, hadn't touched the ear infection either. Never was I happier to hear that he was having an allergic reaction and still had an ear infection.
Glad it wasn't the Chicken Pox. Adam is allergic to all Penicillin too. Glad it had a happy ending, sort of.
ReplyDeletePoor little guy!
ReplyDeleteThat is so sad. Hadlee is allergic to penicillin too. When she had her breakout I knew it was hives because Tyden has broke out so many times. Poor little guy. I hate it when my kids are sick. It makes me so sad.
ReplyDeletepoor baby! i hope it all passes soon...what a long few weeks!
ReplyDeletePoor little man. Glad that it wasn't Chicken pox...but not happy that he was allergic to his meds. Love the photos of documentation.
ReplyDeleteOooh thats sad. poor little guy, but good thing that its not the pox!
ReplyDeleteahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ReplyDelete