Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cucumbers

Every year we have planted a garden, with mixed results. This year we decided that we would scale down. We did not do very well keeping up with the garden last summer, and we didn't produce much. This year we planted 2 cherry tomato plants, 2 regular tomato plants, 2 squash plants (one died), 2 cucumber plants (one died), one pepper plant, 2 watermelon plants (both died), and a basil plant. Well it was a very good thing that so many things died. Or I don't know what we would have done with it all. For the past month we have been picking probably 50+ cherry tomatoes a week (Roman doesn't like the tomatoes, as soon as he tastes it he spits it out), 5-10 cucumbers a week, and 1-4 squash a week. We have only had 3 peppers I think everything is crowding the pepper plant out.



One day Spencer had a cucumber and was just slicing it and eating the slices and Roman came and asked for a piece. We didn't think he would eat it, but Spencer gave him a piece anyway. He ate it so quick and came back for another.

After that we started giving him cucumber from time to time (I mean what are we going to do with so many cucumbers anyway, there are 6 sitting on the counter right now and 4 or 5 that are about ready to be picked). We sliced it up, and he loved it!

One day we were in a hurry so I just hurried and peeled the cucumber and just handed him the 1/3 of a cucumber that was left. He thought that was even better than the cucumber slices.


Now we have a regular cucumber addict on our hands. When offered a tray of Cheerios, fruit puffs, and a cucumber, he will ignore the Cheerios and fruit puffs and devour the cucumber.


He loves his cucumber so much he thought I was going to take it away and was hugging it to his body! Crazy boy!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute. I really like the one where he is hugging the cucumber. What happened to all the cherry tomatoes you were going to bring to my house the other day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a cutie pie. I hate cucumbers...I think I need to give them another try.

    ReplyDelete