We went to court this morning to finalize our adoption. In the state of Utah you have to wait 6 months and one day from official placement. Official placement was June 24, so 6 months and 1 day would be December 25. The courts were closed that day for obvious reasons.
I had worked myself up for this so much just worrying about everything, really it was just great. We met with the lawyer and case worker outside the court room before we went in, to go over final documents so when they asked if we had read and agreed with everything we could say yes. Once we had everything ready we went into the courtroom. The clerk didn't even bring the judge into the courtroom, she just brought us back into the judges chambers to finalize. We had a really great judge, he has to have video running rather than having a court reporter so he gave us a copy of the whole thing which I am also really excited about. The judge told us that when Roman is a teenager and just starting to drive and is driving us nuts we can't blame any of it on him or our attorney. After we had signed all the papers the judge said that he wouldn't call it official until he held Roman. He was really funny and told us that adoptions were the only fun thing he got to do so he would take an adoption any day. It was so fast and easy, really I was worried over nothing.
Before we left the caseworker took a few pictures for us, so here are a few pictures of us with Judge Iwasaki (I think that's how you spell his name) then outside the courthouse and lastly Roman under the Christmas tree there. What a sweet day.



Wahoo! How exciting! Roman looks like he's ready for the Christmas tree to fall into his mouth so he can eat it or something.
ReplyDeleteYay!! Such a happy day! I can't believe 6 months has gone by. What a crazy awesome year.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I'm sure you are so relieved to have that all done. I'm glad I got to see you- even if it was only for a quick second. And Roman is so darn cute!
ReplyDelete