
Spencer's family is from California and the day that we were moving out of our house Spencer's Grandma was diagnosed with a rapidly growing brain tumor. The treatment options were not great based on her age so they decided not to proceed with any treatments. Without treatments the doctors said that she had 2-6 months to live. The doctors said it would not be painful for her but that she would slowly lose her memory and eventually she would go to sleep and not wake.
(December 2004)
Spencer and I talked about things and decided we would like to go see her as soon as possible. The day after Christmas we packed the car and drove to California. On Monday Spencer's aunt talked to the doctor and the prognosis was even more grim than before. It was now 2-6 WEEKS not months. She was digressing quicker than they thought.
We are so glad that we went when we did. The first few days that we were there she was lucid, alert, and easy to talk to. We did not realize then how precious that time would be. We were supposed to come home New Years day, but it arrived and we weren't ready to go. When I had to die I would like to be happy and surrounded by family as Spencer's Grandma has been. She has started to rhyme everything she says. She is always trying to make people laugh.
What a sweet woman, I am so thankful that she welcomed me as family.
We finally packed up on Saturday and drove home. Driving away was hard knowing that it would be the last time we would see her in this life. I am thankful that she did not have to suffer and that she will be with the love of her life, her daughter, her grandson, and so many other friends that I am sure she has missed as we will miss her.
(October 2007)
Added by Spencer:
My grandparents are some of the most selfless people in the world. For example, even though my grandmother knows that she is dying her sole concern is for the happiness of others. The entire time we were in California she was consoling the sad and bringing humor to everyone there. I can not express the love and gratefulness I have for my grandmother.
I am so thankful that my grandparents raised all of their children to be extremely family oriented. And in turn their children have raised children of their own to be very family oriented. I can only hope to be able to look at my life later on and be able to compare it to the great lives my grandparents have lived. Of all my grandmothers posterity only one was not able to travel to see her during this time. This one is on a mission in Ecuador.
I am so thankful that my grandparents raised all of their children to be extremely family oriented. And in turn their children have raised children of their own to be very family oriented. I can only hope to be able to look at my life later on and be able to compare it to the great lives my grandparents have lived. Of all my grandmothers posterity only one was not able to travel to see her during this time. This one is on a mission in Ecuador.
I am filled with sorrow to see my grandmother go. But I am very happy to see that she will be able to be with her husband (my grandfather) once again. I am also so happy to be able to know that my grandparents and parents were sealed in the temple and that we will all be together as a large family again. I so grateful for the gospel and the Savior so that we can be together as a family forever.


I'm so glad you guys got the chance to have a few more memories with her before she goes. She truly is a sweet lady! What a special time.
ReplyDelete