Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A different type of post (at least for this blog)

Tonight I have so many thoughts flooding my mind. I can't sleep. I have so many things to say, but never the right words to say them.

I'll start by telling you a story. You all love stories, especially when they are about Roman.

Roman is such a sweet boy. He is polite, always says please and thank you, (sometimes he has to be prompted but he is happy to oblige.) sorry, and is always concerned for others. Don't get me wrong he is still a crazy, wild 22 month old who gets into mischief but he will put himself in time out if things get out of control.

When we were sealed to Roman, Katie was there as a guest of honor and as a gift she gave Roman a scrapbook that she had made, just for him. Lately Roman and I have taken to looking at that scrapbook in the quiet of the afternoons. I am not exactly sure what started this, but he will go over to his dresser, point up to the albums sitting on top and say "I wanna see Mommy Kaykee." So we take the album down and look through it. He loves to point out the pictures of himself. His eyes, his nose, the hat he wore in the hospital. Then when he is done he will tell me he is all done, we will return it to it's place of honor on the dresser.

Yesterday as we were looking through it I noticed that Spencer was wearing the same shirt in every picture he was in. (embarrassing huh? And even more embarrassing when your wife blogs about it for everyone to read. In his defense he does have 2 shirts exactly the same and he likes them, a lot.) I mentioned this embarrassing fact to him tonight so he retrieved the album from it's place of honor to investigate. Sure enough, same shirt!

Since the album was out I decided to take a few minutes to actually READ it, not just look at the pictures. More than once as I sat in bed reading the words she wrote to this sweet boy I found myself near tears. Never have I been more tempted to go take that sleeping boy out of his bed and just squeeze him for a few more minutes. So many times when I hug him I think how lucky I am to be hugging him. Reading that book I was reminded, I need to give him extra loves, some of them are from Mommy Katie.

There have been so many times in the last 2 years that I have been at a loss for words and tonight is no exception. I could go on all night and never express the feelings that I am feeling. Of utter gratitude, love, friendship, overwhelming joy.

Today was a day I was reminded that I have an almost terrible two, and tonight was a night I was reminded what an incredible blessing that is!

4 comments:

  1. Wendy, That was absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me cry! I know just what you are talking about!! The emotions are just so strong and beautiful, words can't express it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even have any words...except that I loved that post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. That is exactly how I feel about my children most of the time (except when I want to throw them out the window!) Sometimes the feelings are so strong, you just want to burst. Roman is one lucky kid!

    ReplyDelete