We had one yesterday. It was a play in the rain, watch movies, eat popcorn, BBQ dinner kind of day. . .
We played in the rain. It doesn't look like it but it was POURING rain. The car was dripping wet so he was driving standing in front of it so he didn't have to sit on the wet seat.
We tried on his new life jacket and made sure it was tight enough that it would hold.
We grilled hamburgers for dinner.
Roman tried to climb INTO his crib instead of out, I don't think I would mind that trick.
We tried out the awning over our deck. It was pretty much amazing.
Then we were playing in the family room before bed. Roman was doing flips out of my arms. He has been a pro flipper pretty much his entire life. He LOVES doing flips. He was in my arms, flipped, landed it perfectly I might add and as soon as his feet touched the floor he started screaming in pain.
I am not the type that waits to see if it works itself out. I waited about 2 minutes and went and looked up the closest instacare and got on our way. Roman screamed the entire way there, we walked in the door, screaming child, thank heavens they weren't busy! The nurse was standing at the desk when we walked in. She took the insurance card, handed it to the receptionist and got him right back. The doctor was waiting at the door to the room for us and looked at it.
She said it looked like Nursemaids Elbow. I guess it's pretty common at his age and extremely painful. She tried a few times to reset his elbow but no luck so she sent us up for x-rays. 3 x-rays later she said no breaks, but the elbow was definitely out. So she tried a few more times and could not get it to reset. By this point it was way past bedtime, everything was upsetting him and the fact that his arm keeps being adjusted and he had an accident in his pull-up (at least he was wearing a pull-up not underwear), and his arm is swelling by this point, all these things were just putting him over the top. So the doctor sent us home and told us to go to our pediatrician in the morning.
After a VERY rough night with very little sleep I called the pediatricians office about 15 minutes before they were supposed to open and thankfully they were already answering the phones. They got us in within the hour.
We got there and our absolutely wonderful pediatrician was so sweet, she tried a few times to reset the elbow, still no luck. She had her associate come in to see if he could get it to reset, still no luck. Again they had tried too many times and the elbow was swelling so again we left with it not feeling better. Thankfully they sent us with an ace bandage and showed me how to wrap it against his body to help it to feel better until we go back this afternoon.
What a crappy crappy way to end an ALMOST perfect day!
Update - It appears that the doctor (our regular pediatrician) got his elbow back in. He is still favoring it but she said it's not surprising given that 1- it was out so long and 2 - they had to try so many times to get it back in. Poor boy. Never have I been so happy to see him sucking his thumb!
Poor guy! Noelle had a similar experience when she was that age but actually broke her arm. I hope that things work out and that things will be back to normal for you soon. (= BTW, I need a good pediatrician. If you love yours could you get me a referal?
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness Wendy I am so so sorry! :( Poor guy! My brother had that when he was Roman's age. I remember the screaming you were describing a few different times. I will keep you guys in my prayers. Especially that little guy!
ReplyDeleteYuck! What a pain! That happened to Kelly when she was close to that age and it went right back in when the nurse did it, and they actually just showed us how to fix it so that anytime it happened again..... I guess I should have been more grateful for that! Sounds like torture for your cute little guy!! Keep us posted how it turns out! WE'll be praying for him!
ReplyDeleteHannah had nursemaid's elbow once, but it popped right back in for the doctor. Once it's back in, they act like it never happened. It happened to Andrew too, but Adam put it back in so we didn't have to go back to the doctor. That is so sad that Roman's didn't go back in for either doctor. Hope they can fix it the next trip you take to the dr. Poor little guy!
ReplyDeleteThat is the saddest story! I wonder who was more traumatized, Roman or Wendy?!
ReplyDeleteOuch! So sad, for both of you! I hope they got it put back in!
ReplyDeleteOooh yeah, that elbow runs in the family apparently--I had it and my oldest son Anthony had it (and his popped out 4 times--wasn't until the 3rd time we finally knew what was wrong!) But the good news is that they do grow out of it (otherwise Anthony would definitely not be able to do gymnastics at the level that he does!)
ReplyDeleteGlad he's doing better!